Thursday, July 2, 2009

Liberty Cakes ( 1901 4th of July recipe)

Liberty Cakes

(The Delineator July 1901)



Cream cup pulverized sugar with ½ cup of butter


Add ¼ cup of sweet milk


Sift cup of flour and teaspoon of cornstarch


2teaspons of baking power


1 teaspoon of strawberry extract


Whites of three eggs beaten stiff and dry (added last)


Bake in individual cups


Cool


Cover with boiled icing, using red sugar,


When dry lay strips of blue and white icing across


Serve in fancy paper cups



(note: This recipe is from the July 1901 edition of the Delineator. I have not tried it yet. But it looks like an early recipe for cupcakes and I thought it might be fun to post it.)

2 comments:

QNPoohBear said...

That's a great recipe. Can I use it on AG Playthings message board?
http://agplaythings.proboards.com/index.cgi?

QNPoohBear
AGPT Historian

Joanna said...

Sure, feel free too. :) I'm glad you liked it, I'm dying to try it myself. I just havent gotten around to it yet.