Friday, August 14, 2009

Hot Bath Cakes, Day trip and hatpin

Location: Bedroom
Music: Coraline (Audio Book)
Book: (Havent started one yet)
Mood: Artistic


The other day we ( my siblings and I) All took a day trip to Up North (Upper Peninsula of Michigan) We went up to Tahquamenon Falls which was beautiful. The whole day was nice. At first it was cloudy and cool but then towards the middle of the afternoon it got warm and sunny.



The river is supposed to be brown like that because of all the stuff that goes into the river from nature. I guess from like the trees and the soil and stuff. Despite that it's very clean. And there are a great deal of fish in the river too.

Before we went to the falls we stopped in St. Ignace and wandered around a bit. We went to a shop that is a favorite of ours. It's called Indian Village and recently they put up a small museum. I tried to take a picture of a very old Native American Doll. The doll is over a hundred years old. But I forgot to turn off the flash. Here's the picture anyway. The doll has so much detail in it. It's in great shape for being over 100 years old too.



And here is the hat pin I made. This picture came out kinda small. But I think the hat pin itself turned out nicely. I've no idea why I made it. I'm not making a hat until I know if we're going to Alaska. And then if we are going to Alaska, I'm waiting to make a hat till we get there. It will be a nice project to look forward too.



And that same day I decided to make Hot Bath Cakes. I figured out why they taste rather blane. I forgot to put the sugar in lol. But they still taste yummy. I didnt put the seeds in because I didnt have any. Here's the recipe and a picture. :)




Modern Bath Cakes
From Tea with Jane Austen
By: Kim Wilson

5 teaspoons (2 packages) of active dry yeast

1/3 Cup of white sugar

1 cup of whole milk or cream

4 cups of white flower

½ cup of unsalted butter (soften)

2 teaspoons of candied or plain caraway seeds (reserve some for sprinkling on top)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F

In a small bowl, combine the yeast, sugar and warm milk. Let stand until froth, about 10 minutes. Work the butter into the flour with your fingers until the mixture forms fine crumbs. Add the yeast mixture to the flour mixture and work up with your hands to a smooth, elastic dough. Kneed the dough for three or four minutes. Depending on the humidity and your flour you may need to add more milk or cream until the dough becomes a round ball. Add the caraway seeds and kneed to distribute the seeds. Place the dough in a large bowl, covered with a plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 to 1 ½ to 2 hours.

Lightly grease a baking sheet. Punch down the dough and divide into small rolls. Place the rolls on the baking sheet and sprinkled with the reserved caraway seeds. Cover with a lightly greased sheet of plastic wrap (greased side down) Let rise again in a warm place until double in size. About 45 minutes. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Makes 20 to 24 rolls.

2 comments:

The Muse said...

LOL..LOL...
I almost fell off my chair when I read why the cakes tasted bland! LOL
oh goodness...we may be related! LOL

Priceless.

And I agree the doll is fascinating. :) Sounds as if your family jaunt was fun, and i am glad to hear that.

I agree too that the hat being made while in Alaska will be a good project. Surely you will be inspired by your surroundings!

Bravo on the hat pin!

Joanna said...

lol I couldnt believe that I forgot the sugar. I kept wondering why it tasted so bland and I just couldnt image any recipe made around that time for tea cakes would taste that bland.