Thursday, October 15, 2009

Coffee shop chats: Alessandra; Twilight



The town of Forks wasn’t a very big town. And there wasn’t much in the town as far as stuff went either. Just a couple thousand people, a few shops with boring items in it, and a sports store which seemed to be the only main store in town. There was of course the High School, Hospital, Library and Town Hall. All of which were not really any bigger than the town itself. In fact, I was very surprised Forks was big enough to have a hospital. But then I guessed that it was too far away from any of the major cities not to have one.

It took under an hour to explore the town of Forks in my wonderful new car. Yes I had known how to drive a car long before I actually owned one. Driving a car was something I learned a hundred years ago and the basics didn’t change much. Plus, once in a while, I had to drive around Volterra. The car itself was a sweet, smooth ride. It wasn’t as fast as running, flying or swimming for that matter. Vampires had super speed and so we didn’t need cars. But just once in a while, we Volturi owned one. So now the question remained, what the hell was I going to do in Forks until Aro decided to get his shit together and sent me backing home with Petrus. And what was Petrus going to do? In Volterra there was so much to do. We could track enemies or hunt human tourist, track down new borns and bring in the people Aro wanted us too. Here, there was nothing. No Volturi reign, only a bunch of kids who happened to be vampires. And the Cullen’s didn’t count because they had been in Forks for years before these brats showed up. The worst thing was, school didn’t start for a few more months. So, what was I going to do with my time until then?

Aro had said to use this time, to fit in, get to know the town’s people, and get used to being a human. He had cautioned against feeding on Forks. Of course, I wasn’t completely stupid and had no intentions on eating the people of Forks for dinner. But even after two thousand years, Aro still thought I was vulnerable. Stupid Volturi leader. I shook my head. He didn’t know a damn thing about me. He thought he did, but he didn’t. Did I even know anything about myself?

I sighed and parked the car in front of the Forks Coffee Shop. Well the best place to get to know people was always a public place where locals went wasn’t it? And the coffee shop looked as good as any. There was free Wi Fi in the shop, so there were a few students doing online home work. Other people were just chatting and enjoying each other’s company. Most were dressed normal and each person had a jacket or sweater on even in the summer time. Forks wasn’t exactly a warm place to spend one’s life. Not that I noticed, I made a mental note to get a jacket.

The outfit I wore defiantly received a few stares. I couldn’t figure out why, it was latest in the teen fashion magazines, designer cut even. Perhaps that was what it was. People around Forks didn’t seem to wear designer cut clothing. I frowned; I’d have to tone the ‘Gossip Girl’ look down a bit perhaps.

“Hello, what can I…?” The girl at the counter who couldn’t have been more than eighteen began, stared at me and then blinked. “Wow, I love the outfit, what can I get you today?” She asked, standing just a bit too close to me, even if she was behind the counter. I got a whiff of her scent and my nostrils flared. I bit down the frustration not being able to drink her blood brought and looked at the menu. I wasn’t accounted to buying things from a restaurant let alone a drink of any kind. And I knew nothing would taste good to me, I’d throw it up later anyway.

“Just a coffee please.” I said handing her the correct amount of bills for a small coffee.” The Girl smiled and another worker made my coffee, then handed me the cup.

“You’re not from around here are you?” She asked. I laughed bitterly and shook my head as I pretended to sip on the coffee.

“No, I’m not”

“Is your accent Italian?” Another asked, good I had gotten everyone’s attention. I nodded my head. “Were in Italy are you from?” Now how to answer that question truthfully? That was a good question. I frowned for a moment as I thought. My childhood home had been on the sea shore between modern day Rome and modern day Volterra. I doubted anyone here would know where it had been anyway. Though, now I lived in Volterra. I shrugged.

“Volterra.” I finally said and took a seat after putting a lid on my coffee. A human girl, around my own age, with bright dark eyes and dark hair looked me up and down and shrugged.

“Never heard of it before. Are you related to the Cullens?” She asked. I nearly spit the coffee out of my mouth. Now there was another person who thought I was related to the Cullens. They must be very popular in the town of Forks. I shook my head.

“The Cullens?” I asked. The girl nodded her head as if she expected me to know who they were. I of course was playing innocent.

“Yes, they’re kinda like you. Pale skin; wear fancy clothing, moved from out of town… Well, they came up from Alaska.”
“Um.” I said pretending to look at a magazine on the table in front of me. “Honestly, this is my first time in Forks, or America. I am afraid to disappoint you by saying that I do not know your Cullens.” I said.

“Oh well, you’ll meet them soon enough if you stick around. Dr. Cullen works at the hospital of course and his kids all go to the high school. How long are staying in Forks?”

“For a while.”I said. I watched a woman cross her legs and I made a mental note to cross my legs once in a while. Another woman, blew her bangs up out of her face as she read her book. And another person itched their head. I took mental notes of everything.

“How long is a while” The annoying teenage girl asked me. I shrugged. What was I supposed to say? Until Aro decided to send me home?

“Probably a couple of months or a year. My… my older brother decided it was time that we… left Volterra for a little while to spend time in America. He… has relatives close by.” I lied. Petrus was slightly older than me in human years, so this was convincing at least.

“Oh well, in that case, my name is Jenna. What is yours?”

“Alessandra.” I answered.

No comments: