Monday, March 14, 2011

(NYC, New York~ 1928) A New Friend (alice Post)

“Sh. She can hear you.” I heard a very soft whisper say. I turned my eyes down to my pack of cards. 

“No she can’t. She’s on the other side of the room.” Another voice said. I couldn’t help but smirk.

“Look, I don’t know how she can hear us or how she can see things…”

“Wait, see things?”

“She sees the future.” 

“ So all that talk about playing cards?”

“Yes.” I shook my head trying to turn the voices off. Sometimes having excellent hearing was annoying. I turned to look up at another face. A man. Why were they always men? 

“Alice?” Um? I thought turning my head to face instead a girl, about 17 her hair was cut in a bob and curly. She wore a flapper outfit, and sat a tray down next to me. 

“I think your shift is over hun.” She said leaning into the table and glaring at the man who had sat down. Was it over? I had forgotten. Time always did that to me as it didn’t matter much. I mean, I didn’t sleep or eat, not really eat anyway. I turned to look at the flapper who had approached me. 

“Is it really two am?” I asked, pulling out my pocket watch as if to confirm that it was. Sure enough, it was. “I guess, I better get home. Thanks, Lily.” I smiled and turned to face the man who had sat down. 

“We’ll have to do this another time.” Said, picking up my pack of cards. 

“Oh we will, we will.” He said, glaring as he stood up. “Here is my card. When are you here next?”

“Come by tomorrow. I’ll be here.” I said. Unless I decided that I had enough of this joint. But chances were, I wasn’t going too. 

*******

Putting on my long coat, I trudged home, staying in the allies. Luckily, I wasn’t too hungry and a vampire lurking in shadows in NYC certainly wasn’t a new thing. I climbed up the stairs and into my tiny apartment on the very top floor. I liked to be on top of the world. I liked to see what was going on. 

Once I was home, I gently watered the flowers I had growing on the window sill, flipped the radio on I had just bought, and humming to myself, danced about the room. 

After a little while, I heard a gentle knock on the door, and opened it. I knew it was going to be Lily. It always was. I was her hideaway after work. She plopped down at my table. 

“Wouldn’t I kill for a drink right now!” She said. I laughed. 

“Lilly, you always want a drink.” I said pouring her one. She knew I had alcohol. Even though it was technically illegal. But it wasn’t hard to obtain anymore. I didn’t drink it. I just kept it around for my friends.

No comments: