Afternoon Ruby Tea Biscuits
From the Anne of Green Gables Cookbook
2 cups shifted all purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons sugar
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup vegetable shortening
¾ cup of milk
½ cup of red jam or jelly
1. Preheat oven to 425 F
2. Measure the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in the large mixing bowl and mix.
3. Cut in the vegetable shortening until the mixture looks like coarse bread crumbs.
4. Add milk and mix until the dough becomes a soft ball.
5. Place the ball of dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead 12 times.
6. Rub flour onto the rolling pin and roll the dough out to ¼ inches thick.
7. With a large biscuit cutter circle, cut circles very close together in the dough. Use a straight downward motion and don’t twist the cutter.
8. With a spatula lift half the circles one at a time onto a greased cookie sheet. Arrange them about 1 inch apart.
9. With a small cutter, cut a hole in the rest of the circles to make rings and lift onto the other circles.
10. Now, spoon the jelly or jam into the center of each ring.
11. Bake biscuits 12 to 15 minutes or until slightly golden
12. Remove immediately from pan. Makes about 12 tea biscuits
Notes: I used butter instead of shortening. We never use shortening for cooking. This is also the same recipe used in Samantha's Cooking book from the American Girl company. I used to make these all the time. When I was little. Only these ones turned out better. LOL Maybe its my cooking is cooking better.