Saturday, September 17, 2011

Bringing Home a Stray

It hadn’t started raining yet, though gray clouds continued to stare angrily down at me. As if they dared me to run farther. I finally stopped, when I hit a spot between La Push and Strawberry Bay. I had gone for a drive sometime in the night. Images of home, and memories flooding my mind to the point where I had to do something. I couldn’t just sit around in Forks. Besides, my brother and Petrus had gone out for dinner so to speak. Of course, I hadn’t been invited. Nor did I care to join them. They knew that. Disgusting. I thought sadly shaking my head. And I had once drank human blood. Now the thought made me sick. Or it would if I could be sick.

Parking the car, I slipped off my shoes, and sank down on a large boulder rock, sticking out of the beach and dipped my feet into the cool ocean. That was when I sensed her. She was small for a teenage girl, but not as tiny as Alice was. She was about five one I would say. I closed my eyes, breathing in her sent. Then, I turned around to stare into the brightest green eyes I had ever seen.

“That’s my rock.” The girl said accusingly as she shrugged off a rather dirty, old, red book bag that looked as if it had seen better days.

“Really?” I answered. Wondering how a rock could belong to anyone other than the ground. “ I didn’t see a name on the rock. It was just sticking out of the sand out by itself. Saying, someone needs to sit on me.” The girl stared at me. Apparently, she didn’t think I was being funny, even though, I thought I was.

“You’re weird.” She said pushing back, her dirty, tangy black hair out of her face. I wondered when she last had a shower.

“And you should be getting ready for school. Not standing on a beach with me.”: I said moving aside so she could sit on the rock if she wanted.

“What do you know?” She asked climbing up to sit next to me. Yep. She smelled pretty bad too. As I got a closer look, her clothes were just as raggedy as her book bag. She must be a runaway. I thought. “What?” She glared at me. I shrugged.

“I just know that most kids your age are in school.” I said pressing the matter.

“You don’t look that much older than me.” The girl shot back. I sighed. Once again forgetting that I didn’t look a day over 18. Even though I was well over two thousand.

“I’m eighteen.” I answered. “And I am on holiday from Italy.” It was sorda true. The girl however, didn’t look as if she bought it.

“Uh-uh. Well anyway, I don’t go to school anymore. I dropped out in tenth grade.” I stared at her.

“Whatever for?” I asked. I knew there were many reasons why children stopped going to school. Though I always thought they were dumb. Wasn’t education the most vital thing that our children could get? Education was everything. If you didn’t have it, you were pretty much nothing. The girl simply shrugged and pulled out a worn out old notebook.

“My father got drunk one night and kicked me out of the house. Told me if I ever came back home, he’d put a bullet in my head. I think he would too. So I’ve been on the run ever since.”

“You don’t have any other family?” I asked. The girl shook her head. I closed my eyes. Why did I attract these runaways like glue? I wondered. Maybe it was part of my gift or something. Even as a human I attracted misfits. Most of those misfits I made sure were taken care of one or another. Since then, I’ve still attracted misfits. This girl though, seemed different.

“I don’t think I do. My mom died when I was little in a car accident. After that, Dad kinda went nuts.”

“I see.” I said.

“Do you know what it’s like to lose the only person who cares about you?” She asked her green eyes welling up with tears. I nodded. Wasn’t that what had lead me to go running in the first place?”

“My family was taken from me in a fire.”I answered. “So I understand.”

“Really? That must have been awful.”

“It was.” I answered trying hard not to recall that day.

“When did it happen?” I sighed. I should have guessed that she was going to ask this.

“A long time ago.” I answered.

“But you don’t look much older than I am.”

“Looks can be deceiving.” I answered standing up and looking out at the ocean. I heard her stomach growl. “When was the last time you had something to eat?” I asked. The girl shrugged. I checked my jacket pocket to make sure I had my wallet.

“I don’t remember, I think I had a sandwich yesterday.” One she stole most likely. I thought.

“I mean a decent meal?” I asked. The girl shrugged.

“Probably when my mom was still alive.” I stared at her.

“And you have no place to sleep tonight?” I asked. The girl shook her head. Petrus and Alex were going to kill me. I thought. Aro at least would understand. He’d probably be delighted. Bessie, after all had ended up with a gift, and had ended up being turned. So, why couldn’t this girl have some strange ablity? Technically I was doing the Volturi a favor. Not that I wanted this life for anyone.

“The rock?” She answered.

“Right.” I said. “It’s not a very nice bed is it?” I asked.

“I’ve had worst. What are you getting at? I mean people don’t go asking me these questions unless they want me to do something for them.” The girl snapped finally. I sighed. I didn’t want anything from her. Except to make sure she was well fed, taken care of and maybe finished school. I could give her that. But how to go about it? I wondered if I could endure living in Forks for two years? I frowned. I wondered what Carlisle would think about it. After all Forks was technically his terriority. Not mine. Though the Volturi did kinda rule the world. So I could take it if I needed too. But I didn’t think that would be necessarily. I could send her off to some boarding school. Like I had Bessie. But this girl seemed like she needed something more than, fancy clothes and school.

“I’m staying in Forks right now with my boyfriend and my twin brother. We have a spare bedroom.” I hinted. “And you would have a roof over your head. A place to go too if you wanted. I could send you to school. Plus, you’d have food.”

“What’s the catch?” The girl asked. “You don’t look like you are older than me.” She added again.

“I’m eighteen.” I answered again. Feeling the need to repeat myself. “Here on extended holiday from Italy. For the moment.”

“So, what’s the catch?” She asked me again. I sighed.

“There is no catch. However, if you do come live with me. You need to finish school.” The girl stared at me for a moment.

“You’re going to take me in? Just like that? You don’t even know me. What if I kill you in the night?” I laughed. The mere thought of this girl trying to kill me was funny. Little did she know that it was more likely that I would kill her.

“I have a feeling you’re not going to do that. So what do you say? Do you want to come bunk out with me and my brother and boyfriend? Or stay here on the rock?”

“I can leave whenever I want?” I shrugged. I didn’t care if she stayed or didn’t stay. I just knew I had to do my part in this. “Okay. I’ll come… I’d love breakfast some place. My name is Sky by the way.”

“I’m Alessandra.”

“Alessandra…”

“de Sismondi.” I answered, wondering how I was going to explain this to Carlisle, Petrus and Alex.

No comments: