Friday, September 30, 2011

More Questions (Alessandra Post)

“So you’re really not going to eat me?” Skye asked for the millionth time coming down stairs into the living room. We had left her alone for a little while to come to terms with the fact that she was currently living in a house of vampires. My brother sighed heavily and looked from her and then back to the tv.

“Look, if we wanted to change you,  or eat you, you would be either dead right now or burning with fire, becoming like one of us. We don’t play games.” Alex said. Then turned back to the Tv. Martha Stewart was on. Why my brother wanted to watch Martha Stewart was far beyond me. However, I had never questioned anything that Alex did before, nor was I going to start now.

I looked from Alex to Petrus and then to Skye. I sighed. Neither of my two men in the house were going to help me with this one. So I quietly stood up, smooth down my shirt and jeans and motioned for Skye to follow me into the kitchen. Luckily the kitchen was always stocked in case humans happened to come calling. It would look rather strange if they came into it without any kind of food inside.

“Are you hungry?” I asked and began to dig through my kitchen for some kind of food that Skye may like.

“For someone who doesn’t eat, you are awfully considered about how hungry I am.” Skye commented watching me gather food up for her. I had found some potatoes and chicken. I grabbed salad out of the refregerater.

“You can cook?” Skye asked. I raised an eyebrow at her as I began to dice the potatoes.

“Don’t most people cook?”I asked instead of answering her question.

“Well yeah but you’re a vampire… Why would a vampire need to cook?”

“I was a human before I was a vampire.” I stated, pushing potatoes into a pot.

“Oh… Right.” Skye said. Then, she was quiet for a moments as if she was still trying to believe that yes, once I was a human. I looked up at her. “How long ago where you a human?” She asked now sitting across from the counter on a bar stool and swirling around with her legs dangling.

“35 BC.” I said with a heavy sigh. Skye’s eyes grew wide. I knew she had not expected me to be that old.

“You and Alex both?” Skye asked hugging herself. If she had been frightened before, she was defiantly frigthtened now. So I nodded. “How… How did it happen? Was it like Dr. Cullen?” I shook my head.

“No.” I said quietly chopping the potatoes perhaps a bit harder than I needed too. I watched as the knife went through the cutting board. Skye jumped backwards. I closed my eyes. “Sorry.” I said looking up at her and taking the knife out of my hands. Sometimes, I forgot how incredibly tough I actually was.

“It’s alright if you don’t want to tell me how it happened.” Skye said rather quickly. I looked at her. For a moment and saw Alex lean against the doorway.

“There was a fire.” He said watching my every move. Skye turned to look at him.

“A fire?” She asked. Alex nodded, looking at me with sad eyes. I sighed.

“It was a beautiful day before the fire happened.” I reminded him.

“You remember that?” He asked. I nodded.

“Every minuet, every second of it.” Skye was looking back and forth between us and then jumped when Petrus appeared in the hallway.

“You really don’t want to hear how it happened yet.” He said gently to her.

“Are they always like this?” She asked me. I nodded.

“Maybe you two could give us some privacy? I mean… Weren’t you watching Martha Stewart or something?’ I asked. Rolling my eyes.

“Martha Stewart? Vampires watch Martha Stewart?”

“What? I like the show.”  Alex said with a shrug. “Come on Petrus lets leave the ladies alone.”

“Ladies? Your sister a lady?” Petrus asked.

“ I heard that!” I yelled after him.

“So you guys really do act like siblings uh?”

“Well we are twins. Alex and I are at any rate.” I said going back to the potatos. I looked at Skye for a moment. “I was home helping my parents prepare for a wedding. It was always considered good luck to have a Priestess of Vesta attend a wedding. Otherwise I never would have been home to begin with.”

“Wait a Priestess of Vesta? Whats that?”

“Vestal Virgin?” I asked with a smirk. “A priestess of a highly respectable Goddess.” I explained.

“Oh right. Goddess…. Uh?” Skye asked taking a grape out of the fruit bowl I always kept in the middle of the counter top. I nodded.
“You don’t know anything about Ancient Rome do you?” I asked holding the knife up in my hand. She eyed the knife and I put the knife down.

“Not really. Never had a reason to know anything about it. Is that were you are from?”

“Yes.” I said quietly.

“Oh.” Skye said. “So you were killed in a fire and then changed?” Skye asked coming back to her orginal question. I briefly wondered what the obession was with how I was changed but pushed it out of my mind. I blew my hair out of my face.

“No, I was kidnapped during the fire.”I said quietly. “As my mother lay dying and I thought Alex as well.”

“Wait, but he didn’t die?” Skye said now looking towards the hallway where my brother had left.

“Apperantly not.” I answered.

“But you thought he had?” Skye asked. I nodded, putting the potatos on the stove and moving now to the chicken. I had no idea what I was going to do with that.

“Yes. Up until recently. Our leader… The Volturi Leader… Leader of the vampire world, Aro… killed my family.” I said now deciding to simply fry the damn chicken. It wasn’t like I was going to be eating it.

“Leader?”

“Yes. The Volturi are sorda like…. I dunno Royalty I guess in your world.”

“Are you part of the Volturi?”

“I am. As is Alex and Petrus.” I answered. Skye’s eyes grew wide.

“Is that why you are so old?”


“I suppose it could have something to do with it.”

“So why do you stay with the Volturi if they killed your family?” Skye asked me the ulitmate question I had asked myself for two thousand years.

I sighed. “It’s complicated.”I said looking at her.

“Are you afraid of them?”

“Everyone is afraid of the Volturi.” I answered.

“But are you?”

“No.” I said shaking my head. “For years I dreamed of nothing but death and revenge. So, no. I suppose I am not afraid of them. Besides. Aro treasures his precious ones. He wouldn’t harm me.” I stated.

“Oh. So I really have to go school here?” Skye asked. I smiled at her and nodded. Finally a question I was comfortable with answering.

“Yes, if you want to live here.” I said pulling out the chicken of the fryer.

“And if I don’t like it here, I can leave and you wont hurt me?”

“Skye, if I had wanted to harm you, I would have by now.” I said. Poor kid. She really had no idea how powerful we were. I was sure she had not been with Riley long enough to see the strange gifts that some vampires posssesed.  I wondered what she would do if she saw my gift. Or Petrus? Or Alice’s? Or any of the others. I sighed. For her part, Skye was at least curious about the new world she had found. So I prepared myself for a string of questions as I continued to make her dinner. 

No comments: