Saturday, September 17, 2011

Sourdough Beignets and a pink box


Location: Bedroom
Mood: Chipper
Music: You Can't Stop the Beat~ Hairspray
Book: Abandon~ Meg Cabot




Okay so as promised, and update on my blog! Wee! Yes I know! It has certainly been a long time since I last updated my blog. But in truth, I have been very busy. I actually got over time last week at work! Which I really do not mind getting. My only complaint is that I dont seem to have much time to do any of things I have planned. Though I think that is normal. You would think that not going into work until five pm each night would give me lots of time. But it doesnt. lol. There is never enough time in the day for me. 


But anyway on with the fun parts!


A few weeks ago, I finally had time to make some Sourdough Beignets! The recipe is actually much easier than it sounds. And making a Sourdough starter kit is pretty simple. You can also freeze your Beignets and have them for later. Just dont put powdered sugar on them if you freeze them. Here is the recipe. 




Sourdough Beignets
(Take from Simply Sourdough: The Alaskan Way by Kathy Doogan)
1 tsp Yeast
½ C warm water
¼ C sugar
1 C sourdough starter
½ tsp vegetable oil
½ C evaporated Milk
2 ½ to 3 ½ C Flour
Oil for frying ( Cotton seed oil or Canola
Powdered Sugar for dusting

In a mixing bowl, sprinkle yeast over warm water then stir in 2 Teaspoons of the sugar until dissolved. Set aside for about 10 minuets or until small bubbles begin to form.

Add the remaining sugar, starter, salt, egg, oil and evaporated Milk. Mix well.

Stir in 1 ½ cups of the flour and beat until smooth. Add the remaining flour a little at a time untill dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl and becomes too stiff to stir with a spoon.

Turn the dough out onto a floured board. Form into a ball and transfer to a clean, lightly greased bowl turning to coat all the sides of the ball.

Cover with a plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place for 1 ½ to 2 hours. (Or regrigerate overnight. The next day proceed as follows)

Roll dough to a thickness between 1/8” and ¼”, then cut into rectangles about 2” by 3”. Heat the oil in a large, deep pot to a depth of 3” to 4” to 360 degrees.

 Fry the beignets, 3 to 4 at a time, until they are puff and become golden on both sides. About 2 to 3 minuets, turning once or twice.

Drain on racks set over paper towels.

Sprinkle heavily with powdered sugar and serve immendiately. Makes 3 dozen.


And the last time i was at Younique Boutique which is a really neat, popular store here in Wasilla that sells slightly used fashionable clothing, I saw the cutest little pink box. So I thought I would try my hand at making one. It turned out brilliant!




So there, I finally had the chance to update my blog! Be Prepared for more posting coming soon, I promise! 


1 comment:

MerryHeart said...

The salt and egg are not listed in the ingredients. I guesstimated with two eggs and a tsp and half of salt. Maybe they will turn out ok.