Friday, September 30, 2011

The Stories Old Bruises Tell (Alessandra Post)

“She said that her father told her to leave. She’s hinted that perhaps she lived in a rather abusive home. However…”

“You do not think those bruises are from her father?” Carlisle asked. I nodded.

“I get the feeling that she has been away from home for some time. What if she was in Seattle during the time that the New Born Army was?” I asked.

“And you think---“

“It is a possibility.” I answered.

“Perhaps we should ask Skye what happened.” Carlisle said and nodded towards the door were Skye stood. I looked at her.

“What are you discussing?” She asked. Her green eyes searching mine.

“Skye, how did you get those bruises?” Carlisle asked. Skye simply shrugged.

“I’m a run away. Don’t most Runaways have bruises?” She asked.

“Yes, but it is prudent to know how the bruises came to be in order to care for them properly.” Carlisle said. I looked at him and couldn’t help but smirk. Of course Skye looked nearly as if she believed him with the way he had said it. Anyone would. I half wondered if this was right. Skye looked at me for a moment and then back to Carlisle.

“It was a gang of thugs.” Skye answered. I crossed my arms and leaned against her doorway.

“Thugs?” I asked. She nodded.

“They jumped me.”

“And you got away?” Carlisle said looking from me to her. She nodded again. “Skye, please tell me the truth.” Carlisle said no looking her in the eyes, his hands on her shoulders.

“You wouldn’t believe me if I told you the truth.” Skye said now lowering her eyes and looking down at the bruises on her wrist.

“Try us.” Carlisle said looking at me. She shook her head. “Skye…” Carlisle tried again.

“It was…” She began. Then took a deep breath. “It was… No you wont believe me.” Skye said again her eyes still down on the bruises. I decided to intervened.”

“Darling, Carlilse and I have seen many things you wouldn’t believe. Just try us.” I said ever so gently. I lifted her chin up with my hand. “Please?” I asked. “We only want to help you.”

“But they’re not supposed to be real.” She started to say. I shook my head.

“It’s alright. There are plenty of things out there that are not supposed to be real, which are.” Carlisle shot me a look. I shrugged. “You can tell us.”

“One minute I was standing under a bridge, freezing. I didn’t have anywhere to go but under the bridge and I was so cold. I was hungry too. And this very handsome, god like man came up and said if I went with him, he’d feed me and take me some place warm. And I didn’t have anything to lose, so I went with him…. But he was… He was… He was the leader of some sort of--- Sort of—Vampire coven or something. I know it sounds weird. But its true! They was a group of us he had collected for her. He said. That we were going to be part of something big. Whatever that was. He had thrown me into another girl. She was actually a lot bigger than I was. Well I mean older. I was somehow able to get to the back of the group. And before he could…. I got away--- And got out of Seattle as fast as I could. You dont think I am crazy do you?” Skye said all this without taking a breath in between sentences. By the time she had finished, Carlisle and I were simply staring at one another.

“The Newborn Army?” I asked Carlisle.

“Riley.” He said nodding.

“You don’t think I’m nuts?” Skye asked us again.

“No Dear, we don’t.” I said wondering how I was going to explain to this girl that we were those very creatures she had tried to run away from.

“Wait a minute… Your hands are just as cold as his were… Oh… You’re--- But you aren’t anything like theywere.” Skye said shuddering. I took a step backwards and looked at Carlisle.

“I should hope we are not.” I said simply.

No comments: