Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Time Alone (Alessandra)

“You have been hanging around everyone but me lately.” Petrus said causally as he gently reached for my hand and brought me softly into his arms. Prying the cell phone out of my hands he placed it lightly on the counter and kissed the back of my head. I turned around and looked up at him.

“I am sorry for that.” I whispered quietly, truly I was sorry for it. I hadn’t meant to ignore him. Petrus was in many ways my savoir. I supposed I had the Romanians to thank for that. After all he had been turned during one of their plunders into Volterra. Which I had not been in at the time. It was strange to me that I was never around when the Romanians came crashing down on Aro. How dearly I would love to be put to the test of choosing between Aro and someone else. I was certain that no matter who it was, I would not choose to help Aro. Unless of course those that I loved were also in danger. Love was such a strange word I thought absently leaning into Petrus.

“So, what are we going to do with Little Skye?” He asked gently brushing his lips against mine.

“Send her to school.” I answered automatically. “I’m going to call on the High school in the morning and in roll her as soon as possible.”

“What about after that?” Petrus asked.

“I have no idea.” I answered him truthfully. “Hopefully I can get Aro to leave her alone, and let her be. Hopefully it wont end the way Bessie’s did.”

“Who was Bessie by the way?” I sighed heavily. She was such a mischievous little thing as a youngster and never grew out of it. Of course she still had that quality in her even now. She was of course living some place in America. I believed. She did call me regularly. I was still fondly considered a sister to her or perhaps a mother of sorts I supposed. Though I had never wanted to be that. I just wanted to help her.

“Bessie was a street rat I ran into in London during the 1850s. She was so tiny Petrus and in the streets alone. I felt as if I had to help her.”

“Just like you had to help Skye?” Petrus asked. He wasn’t mocking me. He was trying to understand. I nodded. “And Alex says you’ve done this before. So what is it about helping these people in dire need that gets to you?”  I turned around letting his arms fold over me, taking comfort in them for a little while. Just a little while.

“Someone once helped me when I was in dire circumstances. I was so small. Anything could have happened. I suppose that is the one thing I have to thank Aro for. And it wasn’t really Aro that helped me. He really had nothing to do with it.”

“Who was it then?” Petrus asked pressing his lips gently into my hair again.

“Didyme.” I whispered softly thinking of Aro’s gentle, soft spoken sister. His gentle, soft spoken sister that he killed.

“Marcus’ wife?” Petrus asked now turning me around. I nodded.

“I had been kidnapped by the slavers. It was quite common. She found me. Back then the Volturi took slaves for their food. They didn’t exactly have tourist.” I explained. “They also took slaves for members. No one would miss a slave if they were changed.”

“So Didyme saved your life then. And now in exchange you feel as if you need to save these poor people who have nowhere else to turn too?” Petrus asked as if it suddenly made sense to him. I nodded.

“I suppose it could be part of it.” I said quietly. “But even as a small child before… well before that happened I was forever saving things. Animals, birds, people.” I shrugged. “My mother used to say I had a kind heart… Before I was transformed into a priestess of Vesta.”I added.

“You didn’t want to be a Priestess did you?” Petrus asked. I shook my head.

“I didn’t have a choice in the matter.” I responded and indeed I had not. I had of course always known it was to be my destiny. But I had never given the matter much thought. I did not want the title of Priestess. Perhaps that was why I had always rebelled against it so thoroughly. Even though it was one of the most honored titles in Rome. Right up there next to Ceaser. I didn’t want it. I sighed.

“It all seems so long ago.” I said turning around and looking at Petrus. “Do you think I’m an idiot for holding on to my human memories and desires for so long?”

“No.” Petrus said quietly kissing my finger tips. “I think that’s what makes you unique and stand out before the rest of the Volturi. You still have that kindness in your soul that the rest don’t have. Cauis would have killed Skye or turned her himself if he had found her. Aro would have done the same. Jane and Alec would have used their powers against her. Yet you saved her. I think it’s because of those human memories and I think it’s what I find so appealing about you.” Petrus grinned.

“Oh really?” I asked smiling softly.

“Um.” Petrus said. “Among other things.” He added leading me towards the sofa. I laughed quietly.

“That is what I thought.” I said quietly. 

No comments: