Sunday, December 18, 2011

(1850 Volterra Flashback) Decorating the Tree ( Alessandra)

“Alessandra be a dear and come into the great hall.” I heard Aro say as he came into my chambers without knocking. I sighed and looked at him. Thoroughly, annoyed. I was completely absurd in the novel I was reading and really didn’t want to put it down. It was so much more interesting than anything Aro could come up with.

“You can finish your book later. Right now, I require your help on a great matter.” He said, his voice as happy as a child’s. When Aro’s voice was this happy it wasn’t ever good. I rolled my eyes again. Wondering what great matter it was that Aro wanted help with.

I didn’t say anything as he lead me through the halls of Volterra and into the Great Hall where standing in the middle was a very large Ever Green Tree, that the lesser guard had started to decorate with tiny ornaments. I sighed.

“Aro, what on earth is this about?” I asked.

“I saw the most splendid memory in the mind of the human I encounterd last night.” Aro begin. “This boy’s family was all around what they called a Christmas tree. Each opening presents and celebrating the birth of some child.” Aro added waving his hand towards the manger with a child in it at the bottom of a tree.

“And I thought….”

“You wanted to recreate this boy’s Christmas for us?” I asked. He nodded.

“And as you have such a beautiful talent…”

The whole thing was a bit absurd. Aro. Wanting to create this peaceful event in Volterra for us. Of course I had no idea who the baby was supposed to be. I guessed it was some Christian costume I had never heard of. I sighed and watched a tiny colorful bulb lift out of the box and up onto a tree. It was clear that Aro wanted me to help with the decorating of the tree.

“Excellent!” Aro said clapping his hands. “I knew you wouldn’t mind helping.”

“Aro..”I started to say shaking my head. But he had already gone. One of the newer guards, I could never keep track of the lesser guard because they came and went like water flowing, came up to me.

“Isn’t it simply splendid?” The man asked. I sighed.

“Yes, just wonderful.” I muttered moving another ornament up onto the tree.

“I can’t wait until it’s all done and we have the celebration. Master says it will be the best he has ever thrown.”

“I’m sure it will be.” I sad with another ornament onto the tree.

“How do you do that?” The guard asked me now, watching as I moved yet another ornament onto the tree.

“With my mind.” I said with a shrug.

“Oh.” The man said.



No comments: