Friday, December 16, 2011

Following Scott (Alice Post)

“Do you think he’ll recognize us?” Bella asked as we sat down in the corner of the local favorite café where Scott Evenson was sitting eating his dinner across the room. I shook my head.

“How could he? He has no idea what we look like.”

“The only reason why he knew where to even find Carlisle was because his contact information was on the Forks Hospital website. Besides, the whole point of us coming here is to let him know we are watching him.” Edward said quietly as Bella ordered a veggie burger.

“You arent really going to hurt him are you?” Bella asked putting ketchup on the burger. Edward and I exchanged looks.

“If it comes to the point that we have too…” Bella sighed and shook her head. Clearly not understanding.

Scott had not noticed us walk into the restaurant. He was too busy with his notes and computer, trying to eat his food at the same time. I marveled at how unobservant the man was for a writer. It was said that Mark Twain had been able to write such great books because he was so observant. And I had taken that for granted. Thought that most authors were observant. But clearly Scott wasn’t. I glanced at Edward.

“He’s trying to figure out what Carlisle is. Er… How he’s immortal.” Edward explained. I nodded. “But all he has come up with is super hero stuff.”

“Like I did at first?’ Bella piped up. Edward and I nodded.

“It’s a common misconception, when humans first meet us.” Edward explained.

“Do you wonder why? I mean you guys don’t sleep, you have pale colors… The super natural senses…” Bella said. Edward and I both nodded, our eyes still watching Scott’s every move. It was rather annoying to have a human in Forks who knew so much about our family and was willing to take a risk and expose us. Especially as this was the one rule the Volturi had. The humans couldn’t know about vampires. And even when they did know about us, those few humans didn’t last long as humans. Most were either killed or turned.

If Scott thought he would live through this, he was stupid. As if he knew were watching him, Scott finally looked at Edward, Bella and I. At first his expression was confused and then he blanked. Edward looked at me.

“Well it’s about time.” He muttered.

“He noticed us. I knew he would eventually.”

“He knows we’re part of Carlisle’s family.”

“How could he not? The whole town knows that.” I joked. Edward rolled his eyes.


No comments: